Wednesday 27 June 2012

Busy Doing Nothing

I'm beginning to wonder how I will ever fit a job back into my life. How do you people do it? At the moment I find the day passes quickly, with sometimes not even enough hours in it for the things I want to do. I get up, read for a bit, or maybe play on the wii. I have a shower, clean the kitchen or hoover. I do some editing, or write a blog, or mess around trying to figure out how to make my blog look nice (this part probably accounts for about 30 percent of my time these past couple of days). I go into town, maybe meet my sister. I look at jobs and apply for one, have an interview, send some emails. I cook the dinner. I go to Lee's house or his Nan's house or I visit friends. I wallpaper a hallway, I feed the cats. I (did) watch the football, I watch Dexter with my brother, I read again. I sleep. So many options for filling the day!
At the same time, I do find that during periods of unemployment I can be unmotivated or uninspired to work on stories. I guess actually getting out the house and experiencing stuff gives me things to write about. Also I'm convinced that inactivity breeds laziness. I become the Queen of procrastination, finding any other random thing to do like rearranging a bookshelf or painting my nails again rather than actually writing. 
I think over time people develop an ability to 'spread out the fun.' Before you know it going to the dentist AND doing the ironing seems like far too much for just one small day. You don't want to wear yourself out after all! I also firmly believe that when you are free all the time, you stop appreciating your free time.

This reminds me of a random song that has stuck in my head since childhood. I don't know where it's from and I only know two of the lines, but anyway sing along if you want!

'I'm busy doing nothing, working the whole day through,
Trying to find lots of things not to do!'

Do you know the rest?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment!